Sunday, April 13, 2008

A Rare Opportunity

We are getting a new stake president this weekend. Our current president has been called to serve as the Tacoma, Washington Mission President

Yesterday I had a chance to speak in our stake conference priesthood leadership training session. It was an incredible opportunity to sit on the stand with Elder Clayton; the President of the First Quorum of the Seventy, Elder Stephenson; the newest member of the First Quorum of the Seventy, the President of the Boston Temple, the Boston Mission President, and our current stake presidency. It was a rare honor for me to sit next to these great men and learn from them. It is so inspiring for me to be around this type of people who give all they have to the Lord. I had a behind the scenes look at them. I learned a lot from their words but I learned a great deal just from close proximity and the unspoken example of their faith. I could see their scriptures and see how worn, used, and marked up they are, I could see the extensive notes they take, and I could see the way authority works when it comes to priesthood seniority. It was flawless. There was no struggle for control or power tripping, just a simple yielding to the senior presiding priesthood leader. All of these men are/were powerful and influential in their perspective employment and industry. Most of them now devote all their time to the Lord. They are humble, kind, meek, and powerful.

I want to be like them. I am watching, listening and learning from them.

As I am going to school and trying to figure out exactly what I want to do for a living, it is great for me to see these men and others like them; to see how they conduct themselves, how they treat others, what they talk about and how they say it. They seem to have complete control. It has been extremely valuable for me to see these men and the seemingly small things, like their scriptures and notebooks, to see their interaction and then hear their testimonies. It gives me faith to know that these men are powerful because they know where to get strength and power from. It is not their own, but given to them from God because of their faith in Him. The mannerisms and confidence that I have linked to their power is not what gives them power but is a byproduct of having a personal relationship with Christ, living a pure life, exercising faith, and serving others.

My testimony has been greatly strengthened last night. I am grateful for the rare opportunity I had to be surrounded and taught by these great examples.

No comments: