Wednesday, July 02, 2008

The Format - On Your Porch

I was driving out to Walden Pond last night to do a little night swimming.

There was this moment that I will never forget. Similar to the slow motion moments but better. A song came on that I have never heard before and it felt so personal that it scared me. It was the kind of feeling that makes you look over your shoulder to see if someone is watching. I was getting on Route 2 from Park street driving past the Boston Temple.

I was driving Katasha's car, she was riding shotgun and we had friends in the back seat. It was a dark, moonless sky with a few clouds, a few stars and perfect temperature with a bit of the New England summer humidity. The song "On Your Porch" by The Format came on and I immediately knew that it would define an era of my life. (This has happend once before with the song "Boston" by Agustana.) It describes such a big and defining portion of my past mingled with current life. Especially as I am about to go move my parents from California to Nevada; putting the nails in the coffin of a past and closing the door of a large portion of my life. It has forced me to look back at these 3 years I've been in Boston. I am so grateful to be here and for the changes in my life. I am so thankful for the example of strength my parents have shown through their trials because it has given me faith and courage to move forward in my own life; even when it involves moving to a city you have never been to and don't know anyone or even know anyone who knows anyone there.


These are important songs for me and stir strong emotion.

Both songs are in a player on the right. If you have not heard them.... Enjoy!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are awesome Tim I do really love your photos you are very talented. It is funny how life takes turns and when you have it all planed out Heavenly Father seems to change them.

It is fun to see how you are doing. Take care!!

Love ya, your adopted big sister Candy!! :-)

Kylee said...

that pic of Walden is breathtaking and I almost cried when I saw it. It seems so funny to me that a pond--or even a picture of a pond--can stir up so many emotions.

Kylee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kylee said...

After listening to "On Yout Porch" I can't believe how much it is about your life--scary was the right word.

You inspire me and I wish I could only be half of the courageous person that you are.

knowing you has changed my life!

Shelly Karren said...

Deeply thoughtful, as usual. Love your photos too. What a talent you are, Tim.

Marci Wittwer Butterfield said...

I love that you are able to capture the beauty of Boston so perfectly. I think you need publish a book of all your amazing pics of boston. I would be the first to buy it :). Hope all is going well.

vallarsen49 said...

There's something so soulful about music. it's just a sound. but what a sound. Somethings just hit it right. And it's like an IV from God. ... ya....I like that. Thanks for the thoughts Tim. There's something that I need to shut the coffin on too. And it comes at the perfect time. This thing is connected to the nature center in a nearby elementary school field. It's always been MY PLACE, and they're tearing it down. It will be like someone dying- but it will help me move on from the thing I need to kill. That's vague, but it's enough. Lova ya Tim. THanks for being so determined to be better- and EVERYTHING you could be. :) You inspire.

-Val

Michelle said...

Good seeing you on Sunday!! Sorry we could not talk longer but it was a good surprise to see you!! Hope you have a safe trip back to Boston...

Dustin

Anonymous said...

Hey Tim check out this blog I love these photos she does good work too. Thought you might like to see, if you come into town to see Lori or Steve call me I want you to take family pictures of us I will pay you of course.

http://angelaliddle.blogspot.com/

Stephanie said...

Hey Tim. I found your blog here off of Julie's. Good to see you're doing well and still taking phantastic photos!

Katasha Lyn said...

dude... post already. ;)