Man's Search for Meaning
by Viktor E. Frankl
"A man who becomes conscious of the responsibility he bears toward a human being who affectionately waits for him, or to an unfinished work, will never be able to throw away his life. He knows the "why" for his existence, and will be able to bear almost any "how."
This quote was shared with me this week and I have thought about it a bit- mostly this sentence.
He knows the "why" for his existence, and will be able to bear almost any "how."
because there isn't a "human being who affectionately waits" me, I relate more to the unfinished work.
......I am just trying to figuring out the how.
1 comment:
I think we know very little about the people in our lives that "affectionately wait" for us. The unyeilding prayers of parents, the silent cheering of friends, those who are secretly (or not so secretly) in love with us (even if we don't recipricate those feelings) and those who are waiting for each of us to realize our potential-yet love us as if we've already reached it. I think there are many people. We have a great responsibility to those who "affectionately wait" for us.
As for the "how" to live life..I really like this quote:
" Try to be patient towards all that is unresolved in your heart and to try to love the questions themselves like they are locked rooms books that are written in a very foreign language. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given you, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live into the answer."…..
-- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet", letter of July 16, 1903., 1903
Post a Comment